The Indian government said Friday, diplomats from India and China agreed to a rapid withdrawal of frontline forces on the disputed border between the two countries in the western Himalayas, which saw 20 Indian soldiers killed in a clash last month.

Although the clash on June 15 in the Jalawan Valley from the Indian Ladakh region did not witness a single shot and saw stones and rockets, it still constitutes the worst clash in decades between the two neighboring and nuclear-armed countries.

Since then, the two sides have held several rounds of talks to restore calm and reduce the number of troops in the valley as they were gathering reinforcements in the wider region on each side.

During an online meeting, diplomats from both sides discussed the progress made so far to end the crisis on the actual line of control that demarcates the border between the two countries.

The Indian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the two sides agreed to “resolve a quick and full engagement” of the forces on the line of control and reduce the escalation in the border area to ensure the restoration of peace and smooth relations.

She added that the top military leaders of the two countries will meet again soon to “ensure the complete disengagement is expeditiously”.

No statement has yet been issued by the Chinese side.

A US official, who asked not to be named, told Reuters in Washington that the United States has monitored a build-up of troops on the India-China border and estimated the size of each side’s forces at more than 10,000 in the region.